An English electric clock invented by Thomas John Murday in 1908 (Patent No. 22,819), modified in Patent No.1326 in 1910 and manufactured by The Reason Manufacturing Company, Brighton, England.
It is an aesthetically pleasing clock, though not without its engineering shortcomings. Probably for this reason only about 300 were apparently made, and of this only about 80 had glass dials according to research by Charles K. Aked published in Antiquarian Horology, December 1970.
This clock is numbered 238 and retains the original glass Roman dial chapter, the numerals to be professionally restored, and original blue steel hands.
The skeletonised movement is supported on two slender columns centred above a large balance wheel with a blued steel hairspring. The 5-inch diameter nickel/steel alloy balance rim carries a Hipp Toggle. A long steel spring passes over a notched receiver at each oscillation. With each oscillation it loses amplitude, so after a while the steel spring does not pass across the notched receiver but instead lands in it, completing the electrical circuit. The electromagnet is energised, and the balance is once again impulsed via a pin and armature.
The clock has a locking device to raise the balance wheel for transporting the clock.
A brass name plate on the base is stamped as follows:
THE REASON MFG CO. LTD.
The clock is mounted on a turned circular mahogany base which discreetly houses the two batteries. It is protected under a round glass dome.
The clock is to be overhauled. Photographed is Murday Reason Clock serial number 202, recently sold. This differs in that it had two hairspings.
Diameter: 23 cms
Ref: HS15 MurdayMake an enquiry