Architectural French Four-glass Clock, c.1860
A very nice example of a French four glass clock in a decorative yet elegant four-glass case. The architectural style case is a portico with fluted columns topped with Corinthian capitals supporting a pitched pediment. Fine applied brass decoration adorn the pediment and concave-section base, and a frieze of decorative cast brass cornicing trims the case. The brass is lacquered to a very high standard, presented for sale in pristine condition.
All four sides are fitted with bevelled glasses, all perfect.
The French two-train bell-striking movement is by Vincenti et Cie, also stamped with the trademark for the original retailer Maple & Co.. It strikes the number of hours and the passing of the half hour.
The two-part dial has an enamel ring of Arabic numerals, the recessed matt gilt centre displaying the jewelled pallet Brocot escapement of the movement above two ringed winding holes.
The movement of this escapement and the swing of the mercury pendulum are a particular draw of four-glass clocks.
The movement has been overhauled and is guaranteed for 3 years.
- Height: 43 cms
In 1841 John Maple founded a manufacturing and retailing business from the hub of the furniture centre in London’s Tottenham Court Road. Through the founder and his son’s drive and excellence of the products of the company expanded greatly, to have further workshops and points of sale in both Paris and Buenos Aires, and later, a shop in Smyrna.
Clients included Queen Victoria and members of the Royal Household, the King of Siam, and the Nicholas, Tsar of Russia.
Later, Maple would furnish the Royal yachts, the QE1 and the QE2.
All of Vincenti’s production ceased in 1870, so this clock dates from the 1850s-1860s.
We have a similarly styled Eureka clock in stock: