Early 20th Century Bulle electric mantel clock within an imposing veined Rosa Portugal marble arch top case.
The front opening door has a large glazed panel to see the swing of the pendulum. This panel and the arched door are edged with brass stringing
The 5.5″ silvered Arabic dial is signed BULLE CLOCK BREVETE S.G.D.G. PATENTED
The movement, although working well, is yet to be overhauled. The electromagnetic circuit is powered by 4 x standard AA batteries whose voltage is regulated by a potentiometer connected to the battery casing.
The pendulum consists of a coil which passes over the curved bar magnet with three poles (North at either end and South in the centre, or vice versa). As an electrical current is briefly imparted to the coil, it is attracted towards one end of the bar. It then naturally falls back to (and over-runs) the centre, when the impulse is again imparted to attract it to the other end.
This design was patented in 1920 by Maurice Favre-Bulle, and during the period 1920 to 1952 it is estimated that production was in the region of 300,000 clocks.
Ref: H402/1009Make an enquiry