A fine Regency mahogany wall clock dated c.1820, by a highly regarded maker, with many features which set it apart as an individual and very elegant design.
The narrow dial surround has inlaid stringing to match the stringing on the trunk and base. It has a restrained shaped crest, conforming to the lower ears; the crest is topped with a slender urn finial, typical of the Regency era. The chisel-shaped trunk has a crossbanded mahogany border beyond the satinwood stringing. Most unusually, the chisel base tapers towards a point. Three access doors give access to the long pendulum.
The original 12 inch painted convex iron dial has had the numerals re-highlighted. It has a uniquely shaped cast brass ringed bezel, which is key locked. The bezel is fitted with high-domed glass.
The blued steel hands are a particularly elegant feature of this clock.
The 8-day fusee timepiece movement has shaped plates united by knopped pillars. The clock dial plate is signed WALKER & HUGHES, a Birmingham dial maker trading from c.1811 to 1835.
James Condliff, Liverpool’s most famous clockmaker, started trading at 32, Gerrard Street, Liverpool from 1813-18, then Circus Street, Liverpool 1819-22, then Fraser Street, Liverpool 1823-62 [Loomes, Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World].
He was best known for his fine skeleton clocks. Liverpool Museum have a 12-bell painted dial musical clock playing a tune every third hour, also two turret clocks (one carillon).
The movement is overhauled and guaranteed for 3 years.
- Height: 73cms
- Width: 35cms
- Depth: 17cms
Ref: HS364iiMake an enquiry