This 1860s drop dial case wall clock has a nice balance of finely executed wooden carvings, thus not looking overly fussy – note the small pointed base finials all still intact and complete, and the delicate ear-pieces. The veneers to the mahogany case are lively, especially on the glazed door frame. It has been well cared for over the years, giving us a completely original and beautifully presented clock.
The eight-day movement has shaped plates to the two train fusee movement and strikes the hours on a bell. The wood rod pendulum with a ringed cylindrical zinc bob is visible through the glass trunk door.
Original painted 12-inch white dial which has aged evenly, and is signed E. Johnson, Derby. Matching black steel intricate hands.
- Height : 39.5 inches (100 cms)
- Width: 16 inches (41 cms)
- Depth; 6.5 inches (16 cms)
The movement is to be overhauled and guaranteed for 3 years.
Edward Johnson (b.1817) came to Derby and founded his clock and watchmaking business there in 1849. By 1858 he had taken over the form of Daniel Holme at Rotten Row, Derby. He was also a goldsmith and employed six people in the 1971 census at St. Peter’s Street. He died in 1882 and was succeeded by his son, Edward Jnr., who in 1883 was joined by Reginald Hodder from London. In 1887 they were successful in obtaining the appointment as “Makers to the Admiralty”.
Edward Johnson Snr. made the tower clock for Derby Market Hall in 1864.
Ref: JohnsonMake an enquiry