A mid 19th century mahogany longcase clock by J.R. Laing, Glasgow in a highly decorative drumhead case, painted with a cream ground and gilt raised edges and mouldings.
The moulded dial surround sits upon a pair of flowerhead carved terminals, water gilded on red bole. The hood is mounted on a tapering fluted column on a moulded box base and turned bun feet. Highly unusually, this longcase clock has no traditional door, but an invisible removable panel at the side to access the pendulum and weights.
The circular 12-inch Roman dial has subsidiary date and seconds dials, and substantial blued steel hands.
It is not clear whether the clock was originally painted and gilded thus. More usual was a polished mahogany finish.
In 1840 James Rankin Laing started a retail jewellers shop known as J. R. & W. Laing at 53 & 55 Brunswick Street, Glasgow. By 1860 they became wholesale dealers by 1890 and also sold chronometers. They then became Laing the Jeweller.
In 1897 the business was frequented by James Keir Hardie, an influential socialist politician who purchased a drumhead grandfather clock. The clock is now in the personal ownership of Michael Laing OBE DL, Chairman and CEO of Laing, Edinburgh and it has been on display in the Scottish Parliament since devolution in 2000.
- Height: 196cm
The movement is to be overhauled and guaranteed for 3 years.
Price includes delivery within mainland UK.
Ref: BK815AMake an enquiry